Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Lately

I don't have the Internet at my apartment, which has squelched my blogging as of late. I had to choose between paying for Internet or cable tv. Since I sit at a computer 8 hours a day, I chose tv. The funny thing is that I don't miss the Internet at all. I have so much more free time at night now that I can't waste it on Facebook or the iTunes store.

My new free time and freedom from homework has reopened the door to a little past time called "reading for pleasure". I had forgotten how fun it was. I started out with fluff reads like Nicholas Sparks, and I now I am reading "Angela's Ashes" and "Wild Swans", which definitely have more depth. I love memoirs and biographies. I think I'm going to read one of Obama's books next to find out a little bit more about our next president.

I love reading and learning about people's lives. I think that is what first drew me to journalism - a natural curiousity and desire to connect with other people. Good journalism allows you to connect with humans, their stories and emotions. As the interviewer, I made some special connections with the people that I got to talk to. I loved it. I realized that I find that same quality in international student work. I have some students with amazing stories.

It's funny. Back before freshman year at Baylor, we had to take the strengths finder test. My top strength was connectedness, then developer, harmony, learner and belief. I didn't really understand those strengths at the time, but as I've grown older, I recognize how true they are for me. Also, I see how they apply to jobs and career choices now. It's pretty cool.

Anyways, if you have any good book recommendations, let me know.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of my all-time favorites is The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd. Don't even think about seeing the movie, just read the book--it's phenomenal.

I'm reading Same Kind of Different As Me right now. Just started it, but I like it. It was the selection for One Book One Waco a few months ago. Happy reading!