- Whoever decided that finals and essays should be taken and handed in after Christmas is evil. Aside from the 10 days I spent traveling, the other four weeks of my break have been consumed with school.
- I broke an umbrella today in the wind. I guess that's why most people don't even seem to carry them here. They just put their hood up and walk quickly.
- People here are as excited about the caucuses in the States as I am. It's fun to talk about politics. It seems the British know more about American politics that the average American does.
- They do not have peppermints in the grocery store here. I thought that was like a universal candy. They didn't have candy canes anywhere during Christmas either. I miss sucking on mints while I'm studying.
- There's an outdoor skating rink set up in the town square now. It makes me happy. After exams are finished, I'm going skating!
- I'm going to Liverpool on Friday with a friend. Time to go pay a visit to the Beatles!
- Next week, I have a Fulbright conference in London and Newcastle. We are going to meet members of Parliament and get a personal tour of the Houses of Parliament. I never thought I'd actually get to go inside! I also have to participate in a panel that week addressing the question, "Is Multiculturalism Dead?" I think the Fulbright organizers thought this would be a fun activity. Seriously.
- I think by the end of this year, I may actually have an idea of what I want to do with my life! It's coming to me slowly but surely.
- I read in a book that the UK and US are two countries separated by a common language. I'm beginning to think it's true. The times it hits me most is when I'm listening to students around me speak slang and when I'm at the grocery store. Food items have different names than in the states, especially baking goods. And when I ask for help, the clerk can't help me find what I'm looking for because s/he doesn't know what it is that I'm asking for.
- I'm done procrastinating. I have an essay to finish tonight.
Tuesday, January 8, 2008
Wasting time
Posted by Meghan at 5:12 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
panels... fun...
I'm excited to hear about this idea of what to do with your life! Aside from the to be expected general rocking out.
Post a Comment